View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
Beabble
YT 2000 Club Member

Default Dotties Results!!

I got up early this AM and started calling the vet, however, the doc wasn't able to speak with me right away because they had so many emergencies today. So, he called me just about a half hour ago with the results of Dotties biopsy. I'm VERY RELIEVED and HAPPY to say that Dottie DOES NOT have cancer. God, I am so relieved.... What she had was a hamartoma. I did a search on it to understand it better and this is what it says:

A hamartoma is a focal malformation that resembles a neoplasm in the tissue of its origin. This is not a malignant tumor, and it grows at the same rate as the surrounding tissues. It is composed of tissue elements normally found at that site but that are growing in a disorganized mass. They occur in many different parts of the body and are most often asymptomatic and undetected unless seen on an image taken for another reason. Hamartomas result from an abnormal formation of normal tissue, although the underlying reasons for the abnormality are not fully understood. They grow along with, and at the same rate as, the organ from whose tissue they are made, and, unlike cancerous tumors, only rarely invade or compress surrounding structures significantly.

A hamartoma, while generally benign, can cause problems due to their location. When located on the skin, especially the face or neck, they can be extremely disfiguring, as in the case of a man with a hamartoma the size of a small orange on his eyelid.[1] They may obstruct practically any organ in the body, such as the eye, the colon, etc. They are particularly likely to cause major health issues when located in the hypothalamus, spleen or kidneys.

I thank you ALL from the bottom of my heart for the many, many prayers that went up for her. I thank God for letting it be a nothing lump and letting her be ok. Now I can breath a bit easier.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!