View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #11
RowdysMom
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Please know that I do understand how difficult teaching can be. My daughter is a fifth grade teacher.

One thing to remember is that a teachers salary is for 9 months work. Plus, you have days off over Christmas and spring break (yes, I know teachers don't have as many days off as the kiddos). So, if you calculate a salary of $38,000 over 9 months (about $4222/mo) and then multiply $4222 X 12 months (IF teachers worked 12 months), it would be about $50,600 per year. That salary, while not great, is not too bad either.

I realize that teachers don't work 12 months, and as such don't get $50,000 per year - but you have to take into account that teachers dont' work 12 months out of the year.

I know in some places teachers work about 10 months, instead of 9 - so calculations would have to be adjusted.

I come from a family of teachers - some worked at a different job in the summer months, some stayed home with kiddos.

I'm in a unique situation. I'm a nurse and I teach nursing so I work 9 months a year and then have my summers off. My husband has a serious chronic illness which will get progressively worse. So, we are traveling now during the summers, while he still can. I'm very grateful for my teaching job, which allows me to only work 9 months per year. During the summer months, I actually go into my office about 3 days per week (when not traveling) to get caught up and work on projects I don't have time for in the school year. I love being about to work at a more "sane" pace during the summer.

My point is that there are plusses and minuses to teaching. What is not good for one person, might be just right for another!

Last edited by RowdysMom; 07-21-2008 at 02:34 PM.
RowdysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!