View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #15
Meggie
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
It is not advisable to just leave a male and female together when the female is in heat. If the male did tie with her and you were not around the male could really get hurt. You should always separate the male from the female for 3 weeks and only allow him to be with the female during the breeding process. Yorkies need a lot of supervision during the breeding process. I always hold the female while the male mounts her. Another thing, your male is just 10 months old and still a puppy. He needs to mature more before using him for breeding. Also, like Tami (LadyHawk) said, breeding is a huge responsibility and it takes lots of research to do it correctly. There are many risks to momma and if something goes wrong with the whelping it can be very heartbreaking.
I have to agree with every bit of this.

Plus your male is too young yet, he is more keen than able or fertile at this age.
Even if he was older, personally I would never use him for his first time with an inexperienced bitch.

Breeding a litter can never be guaranteed to be straightforward, so many things can go wrong from mating to puppies ready to leave mum.
Meggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!