View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 02:52 AM   #10
Beabble
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laila Love View Post
Thanks for that info! I am a similiar situation. I just bought Layla and it was from a crappy breeder. She had a yeast infection and ear mites in her ears. Now she is ok and we are traveling back to the states in the next couple weeks. I want to get her on some good stuff and I think I will leave her on puppy food for a little while longer or at least till I meet with a vet in the states.

Thanks so much....PS: How often do you feed your puppy? Or do you leave the food out? Not sure about how to do that and what is best...?
Wow, sure sounds like your lil one came from the same situation Maggy May did. Maggy may had ear mites in both ears, yeast infections in both ears, demodex manges, very, very low immune system, round worms, tape worms, fleas and was only 6 weeks old to boot! The lady we got her from had 28 dogs inside and 25 outside, didn't even know Maggy May and her litter mates we born until she decided to pull her couch out for some reason one day. Then when she found the pups, she was going to have them all put down if she didn't find homes for them right away. We ended up getting two of the pups (free) butt he one my daughter got (Gibbs) was to far gone. Although we rushed them both straight to our vet and then spent the night in the ER with Gibbs, he died. Maggy fought so hard and so long to get better and finally a few thousand dollars later, I think she's about to jump over that hump. Our vet said we have to be very careful with her though because the conditions she came from and how bad a start she had in life, she'll always have problems with her immune system. She's not full yorkie, she's part chiuahuah (sp) but is such a love and I wouldn't give her up for the world. She does so good on the Wellness just for puppies, her coat shines like you wouldn't believe, I have pics in my photo album if you wanna check out her coat. The kibble is also very small so she has no problems chewing it at all. As far as her feeding schedual, right now I free feed, meaning I leave her food dish out with food in it all the time. Our vet actually recommended it because she was so sick and needed to make sure she didn't get hypoglycemic. Now that she's spayed, he said when I make the switch to adult food, to go ahead and put her on a schedual because after being spayed, they do put on some weight. He said to go by what's on the bag starting out as to how much to feed her, I may need to adjust it a lil as far as the amount, and then when I know how much she'll eat in a days time, divide it into two or three equal parts and give her a "part" at each feeding throughout the day. When you make the switch throughout the day, make sure you do it slowly. Add a lil of the new food to the old food over a period of a week or two until ultimately, there's no old food left in the bowl because you've switched it out with the new food. This will help make the switch in food a lot easier on your lil ones tummy. Best of luck to you and your lil one, let us know how she's coming along.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!