View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #11
Mom2BabyNatalie
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Animal Smiley 019

I don't wanna' spook you... because the spots could be a million different things....

But your Hank is still just a baby isn't he? (I'm sorry, I've not seen your posts before so wasn't sure) - - - Anyway, my sister just purchased a little Yorkie who is now about 16 weeks old.... she took him in to the vet because he had some "itchy spots" just like what you're describing, near his underbelly, one over his hip and one on his left side.

The vet immediately did a skin scraping and came back that the puppy boy has demodex ...

Poor thing..... of course it can be treated... but from what the vet says, it sure can take a long time to treat, and possibly several rounds required...

She felt just horrible... kept saying she's a "bad mom".... but the truth of it is, that the demodex is a type of mite that is passed on from mother to pup.... so there was no way to prevent it, (except for the breeder NOT to have bred the mom) - or even know it existed until the pup had this outbreak.

My sister did notify the breeder, since the demodex definitely came from the pup's mom (and is passed on to ANY and ALL pups that mama produces, as I understand it) - - - so HOPEFULLY, she'll not breed this mommy again.

I would take your baby in to your vet - just for a quick exam.... (skin scraping costs about 25.00 and is quick.... not exactly painless, but quick and you'll have immediate results)... before you try different things that may or may not have a negative result with the "spots"...

I'm sure the spots are nothing.... but always best to be certain...

Good luck with your baby and let us know how it turns out!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!