View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #15
House
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinell View Post
House - it sounds like you have a set-up very much like I will have. How old is your little Yorkie? Right now Rocky uses the potty pads - but if it is not changed often enough he rebels and uses the floor! When did you stop leaving food out in the day? Right now Rocky is 2.8 pounds (he is 10 weeks tomorrow).

We have a puppy Kong and he does not seem to like it as much as squeak toys or small Nylabones. I hope that will improve though as I think it could be fun for him.
I stopped leaving food out when Harley was probably about 4 months old. But as soon as I stopped leaving out food, I left out (and still leave) her kong, which I put kibble and snacks in.

I was worried about her blood-sugar getting low (I read this can be a problem with yorkie pups). But I stopped leaving food out because we would have obedience class in the evening, and if she ate all day, she wasn't interested in her snacks for training that night.

Harley is 6 months old now and about 2.7 lbs. Her use of the potty pads has gotten better over time. On occasion, she will stand on the edge of the pad and pee half on the floor, but A LOT less than she used to. And every once in awhile, some poop might drop out after she left the pee pad. (Gross, I know).

I change the pee pads every night when I get home from work. I mop the floor with a swiffer (easy easy) too. But I leave three pads out at a time. 2 on the floor and 1 in a litter box that I am trying to get her to use, though I have not been real diligent about that.

I imagine if she only had one pee pad she would quit using it after 3 or 4 times.

I plan to eventually let her have run of the bedroom all day while I am gone. She will have more room to play and will be able to sit in the windowsill (which she LOVES). I just do not trust her 100% yet to not poop under the bed or scratch the bedroom door when my roommate comes home because she can hear him but he doesn't let her out.
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!