View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 09:15 AM   #1
Lexi's Mom
Senior Yorkie Talker

Angry Socialization - LONG post

8 month old Lexi had her first class at Petsmart last night. There were 2 shih tzus, one 10-wk old lab and an Australian (something). Anyway...after speaking at length with the trainer, we both decided that it would be best to put Lexi in the "puppy" class instead of the adult class because of her size (she's 5 lbs). Anyway, our first class was HORRIBLE! She got through the training part (albeit nervously) but when it was time to play, she would hide and when any of the other dogs came up to her she would growl and snap. I was so disappointed. I thought she would have fun but instead she was just stressed! She showed a little bit of curiousity but that's it. All the other dogs played well with each other (including the 7 month old shih tzu). The trainer assures me that Lexi will get better with each class, but I just can't see that happening. She has been around two other yorkies a few times (ex husband's dogs), but they're older and don't want to be bothered with her. I know alot of it has to do with her being so old already and I'm really worried because we're looking for another puppy in Aprl when we return from vacation. Any ideas on what else I can do to help socialize her? The only playgroup that I found near us meets once a month and we couldn't make the last meeting. I have started taking her to the store more frequently (I don't go many places that allow her) and think I'll start making extra trips to Petsmart just so she gets used to all the sights, sounds and smells. Am I wasting my time. Should I just accept that she doesn't want to be around other dogs and give up?
Lexi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!