View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
bettyeanne
Donating YT 7000 Club Member

Default Sun Safety for your pup!!

I received a bulletin today from The Honest Kitchen ... I had not thought much of sun safety for Toto because we aren't outside that much. She is, however, an inside sunbather and if I am on the patio and she can find a spot of sun ... she's on it!! I love The Honest Kitchen because they have lots of good info on their website! Hope you all find this as interesting as I did.

07/14/2008
Protect your pup - and his food! Sun Safety
Our book excerpt this week is from The Dog Bible, Everything your Dog Wants You To Know , by Tracie Hotchner - a friend and long time customer of The Honest Kitchen. Tracie's book is packed with valuable information to make you a better pet parent. Here's a snippit, about sun safety for pups:
1. Keep at-risk dogs completely out of the sun form 10am to 2pm.
2. Put a T-shirt on the dog when outdoors.
3. Provide shade outside over the dog's area.
4. For indoor sunbathers, pull drapes or block of sunny rooms from 10am to 2pm.
5. Spray children's sunblock with an SPF of 15 or higher on sensitive areas.

According to The Dog Bible, some of the breeds most sensitive to sun exposure include:
Australian Shepherd, Beagles, Bulldogs, Chinese Crested, Collies, Dalmatians, Great Danes, Greyhounds (including IG's), and Whippets.

Tracie lists the following stages and complications of ultrviolet damage:
Reddened skin in thin areas such as the scrotum, belly, inner thigh and nose
Faded skin color
Hair loss
Thick, red scaly blotches
Rough patches
Appearance of "blackheads"
Secondary infection
Blisters with fluid
Formation of scabs
Lesions or depression beneath scabs
Nodules, skin tumors and plaques associated with cancer

Pets in very sunny states such as the southwestern USA are at highest risk of sunburn, as well as those who spend lots of time in the snow, because of reflection of the sun's ultrviolet rays.
Noses are espcially prone to getting burned and require extra protection when out and about in the sun.
Did you know that dogs are thirty five times more likely than people, to get skin cancer? Please take precautions from harmful rays.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!