Thread: Food Question
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 05:58 AM   #1
House
Yorkie Yakker

Default Food Question

Some background: Harley is 6 months old, weighs about 2.7 pounds, and has been eating Innova Puppy (26% protein, 12% fat) for the last 3 months (since I have had her). I want to keep her on dry food, though I would like to start incorporating some wet food into her diet mixed with the dry. I also want to add some weight on her because I worry about health problems with her being so small. I would also like to go grain-free as she has been itching and I am wondering if she is having allergies to the grain in the Innova Puppy.

I have done a lot of research on dry foods, and decided to try Orijen Puppy (42% protein, 20% fat). I have been mixing in small amount of Orijen with her Innova since Friday. Though she has been pooping with the same frequency, she has been pooping a larger amount (than normal) each time, and some of it is softer than it used to be.

Question: Is this just her body adjusting to the Orijen? Have other people experienced this with their dogs? How soon can I expect her poop to return to normal, if ever?

With the expectation that this is just how her body reacts to Orijen, I am also looking into Evo (42% and 22%) and Taste of the Wild (32% and 18%). I am wondering if anyone who has used these two brands had problems with an increase in both volume and squishiness of the poop.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

(And not to presumptively rain on anyone's parade, but at this time, I do not feel comfortable going to a raw or homecooked diet. Nor do I have concerns about the high-protein content of some of these foods, because I really want to put some weight on her and am aware that high protein is a likely trade-off for grain free.)

Last edited by House; 07-14-2008 at 06:02 AM.
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!