View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 05:54 AM   #1
mainegirl
Donating YT Addict

Default Mysterious Poop issue

I need some advice from you all:

About 3 weeks ago Ozzy started having soft mucosy stool. He was acting normal but the poop was pretty icky. I put him on a bland diet and thought maybe he drank some river water or pond water when he was swimming.

The bland diet didn't seem to help. His poop remained funny colors and very mucosy and soft. (and he was gassy..phew!!)

I brought a stool sample to the vet and it came back negative. The vet looked at it and thought is was bacterial and not dietary. I requested a Giardia test, that was negative.

The vet gave me an antibiotic for him saying that he may have had a slight case of giardia but fought it off and now his system is creating to much flora in his gut. The meds where twice a day for 7 days and finish out the week on the bland diet.

After the 3rd dose his poop looked much better. I weaned him back onto food and finished the meds Wed am. We had about 4 good days. Well his poop is getting mucosy and loose again. Lasy night he pooped at 12:30am, 2:30am and again a small little soft pile at 6am. I have called the vet to get his advice. (he has not been near the river or pond since)

Now I had switched him from RC to Natural Balance (small bites chicken) and was wondering if this may be contributing to the problem. Has anyone had their baby get gassy on NB and have soft stool? I kind of regret changing him because he was doing well on RC but wanted a corn free diet for him.

I'm so frustrated. Up to this point he had an iron stomach. So should I keep him on the NB and wait it out or should I wean him back to the RC when he comes off his bland diet this week. Also what do you think about feeding yogurt? What kind and how much do you all give? Maybe that will help regulate his gut flora?

I'm hoping the vet has a solution. Jeesh I paid $34 for meds that didn't really work Any ideas?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!