Thread: Nutracal???
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloan View Post
Thanks Nancy. I always learn something when I read your posts. And now for the first time, I feel good because I free feed my pup.....people are always telling me that I shouldn't. Thank you.

Thank you for the kind words. Some people do free feed for life and are extremely happy with the results. See this link for more information on free feeding. http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...yorkies-2.html Joey's breeder recommended free feeding till the age of 8 months, and then on twice a day feedings, since by 8 months of age, they are over any episodes of hypoglycemia, unless usually small. Many people recommend free feeding for the life of the dog, and have no problems with over-eating. I wanted to use food as a reward in trick training and I found it very hard to train Joey with food unless the "treats" were terribly unhealthy, since he really wasn't hungry the treats had to be especially enticing. He gained over a pound during a 6-week training class, and the vet said that he had to go on a diet. Since special training is important to me, and food is the best reward, I found that I can't free feed any more, and now use his entire regular breakfast is used for "treats" in our training periods.

Last edited by Nancy1999; 07-13-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!