Thread: Free Whelping
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
Woogie Man
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
I don't see how that could be a congenital issue unless there are phsyical characteristics at play. Such as the width between the hips. I was told if you could measure the distance by putting your thumb across this area then the bitch should be able to whelp her pups. The size of both parent dogs. The size of the puppies heads by x-ray or ultrasound. I was always told to always breed to a smaller male.
To begin with what causes for the bitch to not whlep the litter normally. I read a thread the other day were 2 puppies had come down at the same time but from both vaginal horms competing for the exit at the same time. So a c-section was needed. So whould this bitch be spayed? This wasn't necessarily a physical impairment.
I think a responsible breeder would work hand in hand with their vet for the wellbeing of their dogs health and come to a conclusion to promote a good outcome.
All your points are well taken. However, not including the number of c-sections here lately, many breeders caution that c-sections are common in Yorkies. I don't think you could put them all off to being breeders mis-matching dogs or breeding obviously unsuitable females. I know there probably isn't hard data on the subject, but it seems like there must be more to it than just measuring the bitch and finding a smaller male (and considering their backgrounds) for it to be considered fairly common for a bitch to need a c-section. I'm not trying to make a case for mass spaying, just trying to explore a subject I've never seen touched on here before. You are right, of course, that working with your vet, getting an x-ray or ultrasound done can give you a heads up on a potential problem delivery. I guess my whole point is in trying to prevent these problems in the first place. It may well be just a matter of physical characteristics but the number of c-sections seems to indicate there may be other possible causes.
Woogie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!