Thread: Free Whelping
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
Woogie Man
Donating Member

Default Free Whelping

I was browsing around the web last night, looking (as usual) at dog related sites. I came across one that mentioned that no bitch should be allowed to continue to breed that cannot free whelp. I never gave it much thought as all my girls are free whelpers but have noticed quite a few Yorkies on here needing c-sections. I haven't kept track but have noticed some have stated they've had their girls spayed, not sure about all though. I see many posts about what should be considered in a breeding dog (size, health testing, excellent representation of the breed, etc.) but have never seen whether or not the bitch can free whelp discussed. Of course, you can never know if she'll free whelp until the time comes but should you not consider a bitch for breeding if she came from a litter that had to be c-sectioned? If you breed a bitch and she needs a c-section, shouldn't she be spayed? Should none of the pups ever be bred? Would that include the males? Could the males pass on the inability to free whelp to his female offspring? Wouldn't it be wise to ask whether or not the mom free whelped before considering any puppy that might be used for breeding? These are just a few questions that come to mind thinking about it. It seems that if we're trying to better the breed, this ought to be a prime consideration. Any input or answers are much appreciated.
Woogie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!