View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #15
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Sammy was given to us by a wonderful person who just did not have time for her (she is very active! she is barking at Loki right now because he is napping and not playing with her!) and she needed to be spayed and then had a $3000 knee surgery. She was a very expensive "free" Yorkie. I'm not complaining because we love her and we think she's worth it, but I just thought I'd share because it's something to think about.

I think it's OK when breeders charge so much for Yorkies if they are good breeders and take care of their dogs. It makes sense that they cost more than a lab due to the small litter size and high vet bills. The frustrating part for ME is when I see people who are not experienced or who breed their pets just because and they see dollar signs because they think $1000+ is the going price for a Yorkie. That's not right. I thought Loki was a deal at $800. I love Loki, but he's 12 lbs and has had some major medical issues. He wasn't a deal. Just one of his medications is $1500 per year...

I'm just saying that spending $1000-$2000 for a high quality Yorkie with tests done and parents on site, etc. doesn't seem so outrageous knowing what I do now. It's also why I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a Yorkie on a shoestring budget. I know that accidents and problems can happen with any breed, but problems just seem to be so common with our little ones.

I agree with being patient. I checked rescues and shelters daily until Sammy practically fell into our laps. We love her so much!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!