View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #15
Verna
Senior Yorkie Talker

[QUOTE=julesb2000;2105174]I'm gonna brag here (don't you hate parents like that?) but my 7-year-old girl has been 100% house broken since she was a puppy (I'm not counting the excitement dribble). The housebreaking process lasted about 3 months. That's faster than any dog I've ever had in my life. (She's Brilliant!)

As for the excitement peeing, I started ignoring her when I first came home (you know, when they're in that hyper, jumping around stage) because as soon as I'd say hi or reach down to pet her, she'd pee. Once I started ignoring her, she calmed down very quickly. As soon as she calmed down, I'd quietly say hello to her and if she was still calm, I'd reach down and pet her gently, not saying anything while I did. If I'd been gone for more than a couple of hours, I'd walk her onto the grass (still not talking to her or reaching for her) until she peed. Then I could start to say hello. I was amazed at how successful this approach was. I also have "trained" my family and guests to not say hello to her immediately (unless they want their shoes dribbled on. They don't). LOL!

Max used to do that too. I'd come home and he'd pee from excitement, and I spoke to a trainer and did exactly as you did. And it's gone! It's hard to do b/c you miss your baby while you are out but it really does work. Also, you can't get on to them b/c they don't know they are doing it.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!