View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
cesar49
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Love great post

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieRose View Post
It is so easy to be a Monday morning quarterback...

SOMETIMES..the sac stays intact, comes out and the dam or breeder tears it open, PERFECT all is well!!!!!! SOMETIMES the dam rips the sac open as she is whelping...puppy still inside dam..and there is no way to stop a dam unless you duct tape her mouth shut...I do not panic if the dam chooses to open the sac, head first puppy is ususally out fairly fast...if it is feet first, you must take a dry cloth and gently pull out the puppy...as long as the placenta is attached, the pups are fairly safe, once the placenta tears away, the puppy needs to be out of the mom asap...
BUT if you see dry feet sticking out...unless your vet lives in your basement, you do not have time to go to them..you must deliver the pup asap...

I had a recent email from a first time breeder asking me how long the puppies head could safely remain in the mom..sac was torn off and placenta was already out...it has been out for 20 mins...which was about 19 mins too long...in that case a live pup would have resulted with a gently pull...that was the breeders fault and the pup died.

In your case...you had the bad luck of a small bitch and one large puppy, backwards and dry.....even that gives me sweat beads..I know things can and mostly will be tough.

PS....everyone knows there is a "water bubble" that comes first..THEN the actualy sac the puppy is in? Breaking a water bubble is not like breaking the sac with umbical cord attached to it... RIGHT....bitches break water bubbles all the time...
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!