View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinav View Post
Hi Nancy......

Yes, I always check the water with my arm...I usually use warm with him cause he always looks like he is shivering....but never hot....but I will try to cool it a little more but not cold. I am hoping that the rubber mat works if not I will have to try something else.

Tina
Sometimes when dogs are traumatized at a young age, they never get over their fear of certain things, something might have happened at his first grooming session, as you suggested, that has scarred him for life. The best thing you can do is make it as pleasant as possible, but don't use a baby voice, use a calm "matter of fact" voice to help assure him that every thing is ok. Many people use a baby or coddling type of voice and this tends to increase the dogs anxiety. One other trick I've learned is that I heat Joey's towel in the Microwave for about 60 seconds, until warm. I wrap Joey in this after his bath, covering his head as well and lay him on the padded counter. He totally relaxes during this, and doesn't move a muscle.

Join today and remove this ad!