View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #10
ecucurlyq77
Yorkie Yakker

Animal Smiley 036

my little puppy max was diagnosed with a liver shunt when he was 4 months old (in may of this year). we found out he had a liver shunt when he started have seizures. that was the only clinical sign he had thank goodness. we had the surgery a couple days after he was diagnosed and it has now been 4 months since then and he is doing wonderfully! max is now on a low protein diet (hill k/d) and is taking lactulose daily. they had him on amoxicillin but we recently got to quit that. we had his bile acids tested again 2 months after surgery and they were still elevated. but they said sometimes it takes 6 months for them to come down or sometimes they never get back to normal but can live a healthy life following the speical diet. we'll have his bile acids tested again in october. i am just thankful that we found out what he had early on and were able to have surgery to take care of it. our surgery cost us 1200 but i would do it all over again if i had to!

be very thankful that your puppy has not shown any clinical signs and his liver is not badly damaged. i feel confident your little baby can make a full recovery from surgery! you can find alot of good info at the following websites and livershunt.com has a yahoo group you can join to discuss more about liver shunt. if you have any questions, please let me know!! i'll keep you and your little furbaby in my prayers!!

www.livershunt.com
www.tsfannymaelivershunt.com

brooke & "max"
ecucurlyq77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!