View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
Cookie2
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Cry Going back to Vet with Lola ,I can't take no more

Just when things look so much better something else goes wrong. Later this afternoon I notice how big Lola's bottom breasts/mammary glands look . I lift her leg and see the bottom 2 nipples and surrounding breast tissue looks hard and lumpy It looks darker than the rest of the mammary glands. The only way to describe it as cottage cheese lumps .I'm really afraid now she may have Mastitis I dont think my thermometer is correct. I took her temp and it says 101.7 . When I had taken her temp about 30 min before going to the Emergency Hospital it said it was really low like 98.2 . When I get there and they take her temp it was actually 100.5. I thought there was a mistake.The only thing Ive noticed different is that she looks to be breathing a bit faster when I watch her sleep and also when she is awake she often pants liek she is thirsty adn then stops
I have the Canine Reproduction and Whelping book by Myra Savant Harris and it has loads of info and this is one thing that was written about. I am feeding Lola by Syringe ,it's not totally because she is not hungry.I give her 1 syringe of food and then bring the bowl up to her and she eats it up but as long as I hold it under her chin to eat.She is eating and drinking at least and she also has the Post Whelp Pudding during the day. The puppy was around 3.7 oz when I got him weighed on a new scale. This evening it showed 4 oz after a feeding. So he is eating.

According to what I read they will put her on Antibiotics. She is already on Antibiotics since yesterday Clavamox. So it probably takes a few days to start working in the system. Putting a very warm wet washcloth against the two breasts will help you express some of the built up back and relieve the pressure.It said to first squeeze the nipple tosee if any milk comes out and it did NOT. That was a sign that I was suppose to look for .I then put the warm wet washcloth there for 10-15 minutes and then started to squeeze the nipples ....LOTS of milk shot out.If left alone the glands swell muchy more and they may even have to make a cut and drain it and by then it will be pus filled milk in the affected nipples. So folks here I am about to pull my hair out and breakdown but I CAN'T and WON'T. As I squeezed her bottom nipple she turned around and started licking the my hand as I squeezed. She closed her eyes like she was feeling relieved .
I am calling my Vet in the morning to have her check Lola. Maybe the antibiotics that she is on now may work but Lola needs to be checked to see if there 's anything else I could be doing for her. Also if it gets worse I will have to supplement the puppy until she is better to nurse.

Sorry for the long post,I just had to vent

Genie,Cookie,Lola,Angel and Lucky
Cookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!