View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #14
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvasquez View Post
We feed on a schedule. Before we got Paisley we had just gotten a lab puppy and my main concern with getting a dog was potty training. I did a lot of reading and found that schedule feedings help predict bowel movements. So this is what I did. It works for us to feed on a schedule. I am a stay at home mom so I am able to feed Paisley (and my lab) three meals a day.

I never had a concern of over eating, just a goal of successful potty training.
I believe this may be the one of the main reasons others feed on a schedule. puppies who free feed tend to poop more and their BM's are hard to predict. By keeping them on a food schedule you can predict or control (to a degree) when they poop. If you are still trying to housebreak your puppy, scheduled feeding is one of the "keys" to success.

Another reason to feed on a schedule is so that the owner of the dog has "control" of the food. Dogs with "alpha" or aggressive issues must have a strong leader in order to mainstream them back into a beta role. Dogs establish their position in the pack by the amount of control they have over possessions (food, toys, doorways, furniture, etc). Dogs that demonstrate aggressive issues in other areas within the family should never be allowed to be free fed.

I think you will find that these are the 2 main reasons along with the weight gain issue.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!