View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
KodysMom
Yorkie Yakker

Cry Please help me - strange behavior

I have a really small yorkie (2.5 pds) at 3 years old. He has pretty much always been the perfect picture of health except when has some minor food indiscretions which triggered certain things (e.g. dehydration from upset stomach, runny poops that took a while to resolve, etc) - but nothing lately. Today he was kind of tired all day which isn't that odd as he had a rough weekend (of play) and usually sleeps most of the day while I work from home. So that didn't trigger any concern. It was storming outside in the evening when we usually go out after I finish working so I thought I'd skip taking him out and go ahead and get a workout in and take him later. An hour and a half later, he still didn't get up after my workout (he usually wants to get on my stomach during sit ups). I thought that was weird. So, I was putting away my workout gear and joked with him out loud "if you don't get up soon, we are gonna go to the vet. we are gonna go see the doctor"... well, my dog proceeds to jump up fly around the room, howling and barking in in a voice that i had never heard before... i thought his collar was stuck in mouth (which has happened before) and it wasn't... he raced downstairs and still howled and jumped around and started to calm down but wouldn't come to me. This went on start to end for roughly 5 minutes before I got my hand on him and took him outside and he proceeded to play with me and a neighbor for the next 1/2 hour. I don't think he knows the word vet - I never say that to him so I don't think it would have made him panic.

It was so out of character for him, he isn't much of a barker unless in play when he wants you to throw it. He was going nuts, under the furniture, into the wall (behind the sofa where he couldn't see - not full on into a visible wall) barking / howling in the strangest voice i have ever heard. I was/am panicked.

Several months ago due to his small size, my vet wanted me to proactively see if we could do some tests to determine a liver shunt. We took him to NC State for three days of testing and he had an ultrasound (doplar) and a nuclear scintigraphy and everything came back normal - no shunt. He had one slightly elevated bile acid test during all this and a couple of months ago it was normal during a retest. We do bloodwork and bile acids quarterly and everything was normal two months ago (this is due to his small size and me being overly cautious).

Can anyone please tell me their dog has acted this strange before? I am freaking out that he developed a shunt suddenly...Thanks.
KodysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!