View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Feeding all wet food is okay. My Yorkie eats homecooked (so it is wet). Kibble didn't do a thing for her teeth but since homecooking and brushing her teeth are a lot better.

I would not feed raw at all (from what I have read, I would not be comfortable with it at this time). Homecooked, in my opinion, is just fine and you don't have the bacteria concerns of raw (which would only be a concern if your dog has a compromised immune system). I also would not give bones.

When homecooking you do have to supplement with vitamins/minerals.
As far as exercising the jaws, I give Ellie raw vegetables to chew on.

To brush your pups teeth just get some dog toothpaste (not human) and a toddler toothbrush or finger brush (sold at pet stores) and brush jsut like you would your own (being cautious not to push too hard on the gums). I recommend once a day but any amount is better than nothing. You could also use Petzlife Oral Gel but I wouldn't really recommend it.

Be careful when picking out a toothpaste. One oral rinse (that you put in their water) made by CET contains xylitol which is very toxic to dogs. I don't know why they use it but I would not chose that product. Some of the toothpastes contain other artificial sweeteners. Usually most anything but xylitol is considered safe but it is best to avoid sugar substitutes entirely.
(as usual )

I meant to mention that about the toothpaste.. i use a 'natural" toothpaste which honestly doesn't work AS well.. we just have to do it more often.. i too wouldn't recommend Petzlife. we have it.. i only use it if its been a while since i've done Layla's teeth and she has a lot of tartar.. its' a gel that you put on their teeth.. it works but i odn't think it is good for them from what i've read.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!