View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #13
majic50
YT Addict

I'm so sorry your baby was injured.

When Lucy was injured, we first thought she had pulled muscles, as nothing showed up on the xray taken at my vets office. She was walking around, but she walked in circles a lot or sideways. She shook her head a lot (we found this was from a severe headache). After a week on muscle relaxers, with no improvement, my vet suggested a neurologist as her symptoms appeared to him to be neurological.

I was already worried about AAI/AAS, because I had been following Blue Boy Barber's thread and read the story of Baby Bear.

When I took her to the neurologist, the first thing he said was that he heard I'd been on the internet, like I was crazy for beleiving that stuff.

But, he ordered a different kind of xray that showed that her neck was broken in the antlantoaxial region (AAI/AAS).

After the surgery the neurologist told me that he was surprized that Lucy was alive, let alone walking, because the injury to her spinal cord was so severe. He also said that, even though she didn't act like it, she had to have been in a lot of pain, because of the way the point of the vertebrae was pressing into her spinal cord.

Your regular vet cannot find a broken vertebrae by feeling it. He probably doesn't even have the correct equipment to find it with xray.

I recommend that you get a second opinion, especially if your baby is shaking his head or walking in an unusual manner.

I pray that it isn't AAI/AAS. I wouldn't want that for anybody. But, don't be afraid to insist that he be checked for that. If that's what it is, another fall could paralyze him permanently or kill him.
majic50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!