View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 AM   #14
cesar49
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Animal Smiley 049 training thread

Since my Mason stays home alone between 7am - 5pm (sometimes longer), I have trained him on wee-wee pad inside our apartment. I have found this method of housebreaking more convenient, because if I run late to get home, I don't have to stress about rushing home to take him outside. Also, when the weather is horrific I don't have to worry about Mason getting sick in the cold.

I started to train him using a small space. When I first got him at 10 weeks, I would leave him in a gated kitchen with his wee-wee pad, toys, food and water. Of course there were times when I came home and found pee or poop outside of the wee-wee pad. I had to dismiss these accidents because I couldn't scold him for something he did hours ago.

When I was around to catch him going potty on the floor, I firmly said "NO", picked him up and physically placed him on the wee-wee pad and said "Potty, Mason. Good boy!" Soon enough Mason got it and at 8 months now, he roams freely around the house while I am gone and has only had accidents a couple of times.

You can only train your puppy when you are there to watch and discipline. Don't ever scold the puppy for something he did when you weren't there. Be patient, consistent, and firm - you'll be fine!

Good luck.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!