View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 AM   #15
jadecomputergal
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Omg Wow! Rose is on a roll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieRose View Post
You are right to take offense...I did not realize the breeder was furnishing the weights to you unasked...I try to avoid weight talk until 8 weeks...it confuses people.
As I was reading this thread I has just finishing a phone call with a woman who wanted to replace her tiny...puppy must not exceed 12 oz...sometimes it just gets to you.
And I agree with her completely. You can't accurately gauge a pup's adult weight at that age. My guess is the puppy you have the deposit on is going to get close to six pounds, but that's a guess.

The problem you run into here is that people want a puppy that will fit in a teacup, hence a "teacup," puppy, which doesn't even exist. This is why breeders get annoyed. If people want a chipmunk, they need to just buy a chipmunk. If they want a dog, they need to understand they're looking for something you can see without binoculars.

I'm not coming down on you at all, and I don't think Rose was either. I'd ask the breeder to refund your deposit if I were in your position and wanted a very small male for breeding. I'd hesitate to put a deposit down on a dog that young. I don't even look at any younger than eight weeks, but looking at any time is fine. It's just very hard to tell how they're going to turn out later at four weeks, and though I love to see them, I wouldn't put money down on them.

Also keep in mind that how long a breeder has been breeding isn't everything. I live in the puppy mill capital of the country, and some have been breeding for 20-30 years. With the small breeds like Yorkies and Poms, some of these breeders will cut back on the dog's food before it's sold to make it weigh in at a "teacup" size. I have a rescue that was 2.2 pounds full grown and the breeder just gushed over how small she was. It was because she was freaking starving. She now really is full grown, and weighs 4.2 pounds.

Okay, I've had my vent for the day. I just worry a lot about disreputable breeders
jadecomputergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!