View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
JeffJ
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Errol has been lethargic and trembling - advice?

Errol, one of our two yorkies, hasn't been doing so well lately. He's not quite 4 years old, and is a large framed 8 lbs (he's not quite a pound overweight for his size).

Last Wednesday he vomited while we were at work, and did so again overnight and again Thursday. He went to the vet Thursday afternoon, and they gave him an anti-nausea shot (Centrine). He also got a few days of an antibiotic pill (Baytril) and an anti-nausea pill (Cerinia) sent home.

He was fine Thursday night and most of Friday. He didn't eat anything until Friday dinner, which he ate normally with appearance of appetite. Saturday morning, he wouldn't eat again, and was being very clingy (atypical for him). After a while, he started trembling, and wanted to be picked up and held and carried everywhere all the time. He might have been doing this (trembling) before, but we didn't notice. Thinking it could have been low blood sugar from not eating for a couple of days, we gave him some corn syrup. That didn't help anything.

So we went back to the vet Saturday morning. This time they did blood work, which came back normal for whatever they can check at the office without sending it out to a lab. At the vet, Errol naturally acted normal. Once we got home, he returned to being quiet and clingy all day, and didn't eat.

Sunday morning, he was acting the same, though we did get him to eat a breakfast of canned Merrick food (with pills). We went for a walk with the dogs, and Errol didn't want to run ahead like he usually does, and wanted to be picked up all the time. After a while, he pooed for the first time in a couple of days, and then perked up for a while, and even played with his brother with near normal energy and interest. He ate dinner of kibble (Innova Evo) with the aid of a few Charlie Bear treats crumbled in.

Today, he ate breakfast and lunch, but not dinner, and he's back to sitting in a corner trembling. Even when he lies down, I see a little quiver now and then. His tongue is rather pale in the middle, I just noticed.

This kind of behavior is so unlike him that I'm sure something is still not quite right, but I have no idea what it might be. Today is the last day of the anti-nausea pill, so we'll see if that's been keeping tummy distress under wraps tomorrow.

Any advice? Things I should ask the vet if we go back? Ideas as to what might be wrong?

Thanks!
Jeff J
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!