View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 04:06 AM   #6
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellKaye View Post
Is there anything I can do or something I can feed him to help Mason if he is anemic? I was pet sitting Mason's litter mate last week for my mom. Mason is 5.1 pounds. Jake, Mom's dog is 3.6 and my Peekapoo Murphy is between 11 and 12 pounds. My two dogs play so well together and Murphy is very gentle with Mason but my Moms dog is 3 pounds of dynomite. Adding a third dog to the mix really caused some action at my house. They played very well together but got very rambunctious. Wednesday night, right before my parents came home to pick up Jake, the three dogs were running and chasing each other through my living room. They were having a great time. They ran from the carpeted room with mason in the lead and hit my tile floor in the kitchen. When Mason made the turn to go into my kitchen they all slid into each other and crashed into the corner of my kitchen cabinets. Mason took the force of the collision. He yelped but seemed to be fine. By the time my parents got there, he was a little subdued but still wagging his tail and playing some. I didn't worry too much. But by the morning, Mason was not himself. He only wanted to lay around and if you picked him up, he groaned. I got him to the vet and after several xrays they found out that he had nicked a blood vessel that only runs on the right side and his chest cavity and was bleeding internally. By the time I had gotten him there, he was so anemic and had almost bled to death internally. You wouldn't believe how much blood they pulled out of his chest. I was devastated and felt so guilty. The only thing that saved his life was a blood transufusion from a Great Dane that had blood with a very high platelete count. He was not stable enough for surgery and his only hope was if he clotted the nick in his vessel on his own. My vet gave me very little hope and I went home thinking that I had lost him. But to everyone's surprise, he made it. My vet and all of his staff told me later that they never thought that Mason would survive. He told me that it was truly a freak accident and that he may not see another case exactly like mason's again for 10 years. He said that Mason must have been stretched out just perfectly when he hit the corner for it to have caused that injury in that location. He is home now and so far is not having any of the adverse side effects (heavy panting and pale gums) that my vet told me to watch him for. He is on antibiotics. He is getting a little better each day but is still not back to himself. I was expecting him to be back to himself or close to it by now. Could he still be anemic? Are the meds making him feel bad? His ears have dropped. I hope they perk back up soon. Does that mean he still feels bad or could this be permanant. I don't care about it other than using his ears to gauge how he feels. If anyone has dealt with severe blood loss, please give me some advice. He is better but I am still very worried about him.
How scary.

What food are you feeding?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!