Thread: our story
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
gardenyorkies
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonsmom View Post
First of all, hello everyone. I am new to the site but it has been helpful already. My name is Tiffany, I am a 28 year old stay at home mom of 2 daughters, 2 stepsons and my fur baby, Payton =) I stumbled across here while researching information on my Paytons upcoming whelping.
She went into labor last night around 11:30. She hadn't eaten, started nesting, panting and becoming aggressive. She (for the first time ever) snapped at me when I tried to re arrange her blankets. At the same time, she didn't want me out of her sight. She was confused and so was I lol.
I waited up till after 3am and finally drifted off to sleep only to be jolted awake at 6:25am by hubby sitting up in the bed. I looked over into the closet (where the whelping box is) and the 1st pup was already half out. I got beside her just as the pup finished coming. Payton did so great. She busted the sack and chewed the cord. While she worked on getting the placenta out, I grabbed the pup who wasn't moving, making any noise or breathing that I could see. I immediately sucked out the nose and mouth and rubbed hard and fast. In seconds SHE started squirming and sqealing...a girl! 6 whole ounces. In a matter of minutes pup #2 was on it's way. We had an xray and knew we were expecting 2 pups, vet also said we may have trouble with #2 being big so I was scared, especially when Payton stopped pushing....sack busted, pup is hanging out (back feet) and kicking. I grabbed it with a towel and plopped lots of KY on...out HE slid. Pup #2, boy, 5 whole ounces! She again took over and handled the cord. I then tied both pups cords off (didn't know if I still needed to being that she chewed them rather than me cutting them but I figured better safe than sorry, did I do right there?)
Everyone seems to be doing great. Payton calmed down, isn't aggressive anymore but still protective like a good mommy should be She doesn't want to eat or drink however, unless it's from my hand and is panting like she's thirsty..is this a sign of something bad? It could be she just got hot, she just came out of the room..I'm sure for air =)
Sorry this is so long, I'm so excited as a first time whelper (is that a word?) lol and her having her first litter! Thanks for reading, I'll figure this site out eventually and post some pics soon. Best of luck to you all

Congratulations!...Your did good!...

The panting is normal and may go on for a few days...Her uterus is contracting while puppies are nursing...It has to shrink back down and it will make her pant...Also while her body is adjusting to making milk she may pant...Make sure you have a heating pad under her whelping box on just one half so Mom can lay on the side without the pad if she needs to...

We always have to offer new Moms food and water while they are in their whelping box with new puppies...Go ahead and hand feed her, she will eventually eat on her own...

Keep Mom and babies in a warm, dry (not humid) quiet place away from other dogs and people so they can rest and she can do her job being a Mom...Good luck with your new litter!
gardenyorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!