View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
I would not feed a liver compromised dog raw.
Most importantly is that no dog with a compromised immune system should eat it and one of the moderators on the LS Yahoo group says that dogs with LS are more susceptible to infection. Then NV is filled with organ meat which isn't recommended. Red meat and exotics aren't recommended, so you could do chicken or turkey (only if you think it is okay to give poultry). NV is VERY high in protein. It is about 41% dry matter and is made up of about 95% meat. I know some nutritionists recommend it, but I just would not do it. I think it would be taxing the liver unnecessarily.

I wouldn't feed any dog raw right now though, so there may be another side to this but I just do not see how it can be good for their already messed up livers.

Since you like the raw diet and you aren't sure if TJ is liver compromised, it would be a hard call...
I agree. A dog with a compromised immune system should not eat raw as their bodies cannot handle the bacteria found in it the way a healthy dog can. In a healthy dog any bacteria in the food will just pass through their body. In an immune compromised dog, it can cause infection.

Lady is a diabetic and can't have raw for this reason.
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!