View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Jennne20
Yorkie Yakker

Default Newborn Pup ~ not a yorkie~ can't suck/latch on..

Thanks for everyones help with my yorkie litter. I apperciate it. I have a question about a different breed of dog though..

My neighbor down the road has a litter of Walker July Hounds (? I think thats what they are?) and the last one born is not able to latch on or suck very well. He was fading, and my neighbor called to ask if I had any milk replacer (he knew about my yorkie) and I told him to bring me the puppy and we would try to save him.

Anyway, he was fading and I fed him the beef liver remedy, so he is doing much better but he is still unable to latch on well or suck well. I have been working with him all morning and I am going to have to give him more of the beef liver juice I think. He is getting some milk in his mouth, cause I can see him trying to suck and he had milk around his mouth. I don't have a clue about tube feeding and am afraid to try.

Should I just keep working with him? There are eight puppies all together and my neighbor has just got in to a breeding program (or is trying, he has a nice set up) but he is not sure how to go about saving it either.

And of course, we can't get a hold of the redneck vets around here either. I told him he might have to take him in to the city (where I had to take my baby) but I really think we might be able to save him. He is fine, except for the fact that he isn't really eating.

So should I keep trying, or just take to the vet??
I think my neighbor is about to change his mind about breeding.....
Jennne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!