View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
Yorkieluv
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

aperfectsonnett,
I wish I did not have to know so much about liver shunts/liver disease because if that were the case, my yorkie would be healthy.
Unfortunately, we have been dealing with liver problems in my yorkie for 4 yrs now. I have studied and researched as much as possible about liver disease, bladder stones, nutrition in humans and dogs in order to medically manage my dog...His condition is inoperable. The vets gave a very grim prognosis for him. They gave me general guidelines to follow, and I have had to do a lot of research on my own along with another one of the moderators from the liver shunt and mvd group in order to keep my baby alive. A few years ago, they said he probably would not live long, but he was improving and actually doing very well. At this point, he was not getting MAXIMUM liver support because I only had the general guidelines my vet had given me and I hadn't started the insane amount of reading yet. The lack of maximum liver support caused his condition to worsen and we encountered severe hepatic encephalopathy symptoms (seizures, etc) over time and tons of ammonium urate stones, and he had to have surgery to remove the stones AGAIN...At this point, the vets said there was nothing more they could do for Miko...I did not give up...I started researching nutrition, bladder stones, liver disease, etc. and I found many things that work for him and other liver compromised dogs...Dr. Center has information on Nutrition Support that has been absolutely invaluable to me. There she recommends the proper diet, the amount of times they should eat, supplements, etc. and they all make a huge difference. He is now healthier than ever and he has been free of stones and seizures for a long time.
Royal Canin Hepatic LS 14 is preferred for symptomatic dogs...The fact that your baby acts "strange" sometimes is a symptom.
LP 11 contains chicken meal which is not recommended for liver compromised dogs. It is an animal protein and produces a high amount of ammonia which is not able to be filtered properly by a malfunctioning liver therefore causing ammonia to enter the bloodstream...It can build up and damage the liver more and cause worse symptoms as time goes on.
LS 14 does not contain chicken meal and is much better for liver compromised dogs.
Most vets will say that LP is okay for liver compromised dogs because it is lower in protein, but it is very important to keep in mind the TYPE of protein which the majority of vets don't do.
Animal protein is hard on their livers and should not be given. I have seen vets recommend people give their liver compromised dogs food with chicken, and then they end up with numbers through the roof.
http://www.homevet.com/petcare/docum...veranddiet.pdf
That link provides invaluable info on how to care for dogs/cats with liver problems. I gave a copy of it to my vet, and she loved it.

Last edited by Yorkieluv; 07-04-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Yorkieluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!