View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
aperfectsonnett
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default newbie here. questions about liver shunts.

Hi. My name is Natasha, mom of two cavalier king charles spaniels Piper and Veda.

First of all, I hope its okay that I am posting here as I do not own a yorkie but i do love them! One of my cavaliers has been recently diagnosed with a intrahepatic liver shunt. Currently she is at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis and we pick her up tomorrow. We were unaware that her liver shunt was intrahepatic until they went in to perform surgery on what they thought was an extrahepatic shunt but were unable to continue with the surgery. I guess I stumbled upon the yorkie talk website (i happen to be a part of cavalier talk which is a very similar site) while researching liver shunts.

Through online research most sites say that intrahepatic shunts are inoperable however the surgeon at the U told us that she could be operated on in Tennessee or Michigan. I have read though, that the success rate of that kind of shunt isn't as high though.

I guess I'm wondering how many of you have dogs with intrahepatic shunts and was surgery performed or are you managing with medicine alone? Piper has been on Lactulose for the last month or so and low protein kibble made by royal cannin. She started out on 5 ML three times a day but had some blood in her stool so she was down to 3ML three times a day. We accidently skipped a dose one night and the next day she was acting strange and towards the night time had a seizure. we rushed her to the vet where they put her up to 5ML four times a day. after that her stools went from being soft and mushy to watery and I feel like thats too much. For those of you using Lactoluse, how much are you giving? Maybe I should mention Piper is around ten pounds.

Im also wondering what to expect in terms of her life expectancy without the surgery? She really is the happiest most energetic and loving dog i have ever met. (im sure everyone says that about their lil babies!) I can't imagine her not loving my face everyday.

Thanks again and i can't wait to hear your stories.
aperfectsonnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!