Thread: he ignores us!
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
momof4CA
YT Addict

Leo, just turn a year old this weekend. He still won't "come" if called, especially if he is outside. But, if I say 'lets get a treat'...he comes running!

We went though a phase, where every time someone opened the door he would dart out. We finally decided we had to do something about it!!

This I what I did:

I first taught Leo to 'come' by saying "do you want a treat". Once he learned what that meant and he did it without fail. I took him out to the back yard were it is fenced in, after a few minutes I would say "do you want a treat" and he would come in for his special treat.

At 7 months, I started working with him in the front yard. I carried him out just past the door and set him down (facing the house), then I would call him as I walked into the house...praying the whole time that he would follow me and not run. It worked! He came into the house and I gave him a treat. Everyday I added a few more feet. Now we can trust him to be in the driveway and along the very front of the house. He loves to follow me, as I bring in the groceries from the car!

**You have to make sure that your treat for "come" is very special. For Leo, I use cheese or chicken (if I have it). It is also very important to never yell or chase him if he gets loose. If you do he will think you are playing!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by momof4CA; 07-01-2008 at 07:54 PM.
momof4CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!