View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #10
jadecomputergal
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruizersmummy View Post
Question. My baby just got her 16 week booster shots and also the Bordetella. I am wondering what to watch for? The vet said he would rather give her a $15 shot insted of spend $80 to try to cure her is she gets it. He also said she would be sleepy for the day and maybe even some of tomorrow too! Is this normal? please pm me. I dont want to take of threads here..... Thanks
No worries about taking up threads. Others are usually interested in the responses to your questions.

With any vaccination, you basically watch for the same things...vomiting, diarrhea, extreme lethargy, refusal to drink water, refusal to eat after 24 hours, whining or crying, and extreme itching. You need to take all these in context. For example, lethargy is common after some shots, but there are degrees of lethargy. Refusal to drink is very dangerous. Itching is one that a lot of people don't think much about, because all dogs scratch now and then, just like all humans do. However, if the dog is having intense itching, it can be a sign of a serious allergic reaction and the vet should be contacted.

I give my dogs only the core vaccinations, and even though none of them has ever had a serious reaction to a shot, I still keep a close eye on them. I work from home so my scheduling of shots isn't a problem, but for people who don't, I always recommend that they get shots on Friday afternoons if they have weekends off, or on a day before they will have at least one day off afterward if they don't work the common Monday-Friday. That allows you to be with the dog and monitor it for any abnormal behavior during the time adverse reactions are most common.
jadecomputergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!