View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
Teryn
YT Addict

Default I hope this helps...

I thought that I would update this thread since it is relatively old.

Last week, I bred my two yorkies. This is the first time I have truly let them go at it, as I kept them separate before. My tiny male (2.5 lb.), Yoshi, was very excited and took every chance he could with Mia, my girl. He is quite a stud to be so small! I noticed that he also had a red bulbous tip coming out of his penis and it didn't go back in. At first, I thought it was just because he was aroused. Then after a few days, I began to think something was wrong. I did some research and found out that it was indeed a urethral prolapse. As I did more research, I got more scared hearing and reading the words surgery, removal, castration, necrophilia, etc. Because it was the weekend, I waited until Monday to call the vet. From the pictures on the internet that I found, it looked that Yoshi had a mild case of it. The vet made me even more scared and said that I should bring him in right away and that they would have to anesthetize him and try to put his penis back in the sheath. He estimated that it would be around $400. When I called to tell him that I was on the way, he said that he had several emergencies come up and that he couldn't take Yoshi and for me to take him to another animal hospital. Thankfully, I have a wonderful 24hr. animal hospital that I have used and like. I took Yoshi asap. The vet tech took him back to take his temp. and weigh him and the vet saw him and put some ointment on his penis. While I was waiting with Yoshi for the vet, I noticed that the penis was actually retracting and finally went in!!! I have never been so happy in my life.

Come to find out, it was a mild urethral prolapse, but this can happen in any type of dog during/after sexual activity. The vet said that it is very easy for it to come out, get dry, then swollen or caught on a hair, and not be able to go back in. The earlier you catch it the better. Dummy me didn't think to put vaseline on it, but now I know.

So if this happens to you, put some vaseline on it and keep the male separated from any females. Make sure that there is no hair going in or irritating it. The penis should not be out longer than 30 mins. I hope that this helps someone else! I was just happy that I got away with a $56 vet bill and not a $400 vet bill. I have never been so happy to spend $56!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!