View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
jadecomputergal
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default I don't do Lepto either

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiesrock View Post
Wow, this is a tough decision to make. As I mentioned earlier my dog isn't boarded and I use a mobile groomer but I do take my dog to dog events where he is around other dogs. I only spoke with the techinician so I will ask to speak with the vet tomorrrow and see what she says.

Now that we are talking about vaccines besides rabies, what other vaccines do you all get for your dogs? Mine gets rabies, lepto and DHPP. Is this too much?
It's not easily contracted in the conditions my dogs are kept, and it's also not effective enough to encourage me to get one more vaccination just for the sake of a vaccination. Same with the Lyme vaccination. Bordetella, Lepto, and Lyme are all bacterial, unlike things like Parvo and Distemper, which are viral. Most of the vets I've talked to and read literature from agree that vaccinating for bacterial infections is of limited usefulness and would have to be done more than once per year to provide much protection at all. All that being said, there isn't a great risk of adverse reaction if you choose to have your dogs vaccinated for some or all of them, so you have to weigh that small risk against whatever peace of mind it might give you to have it done.

Best wishes.
jadecomputergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!