View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
mayers
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default A playmate for Rambeau

I have been thinking about getting a playmate for Rambeau, besides the cat. I have always wanted a French bulldog, but hubby says they are too expensive and probably too big for Rambeau. I would be happy with another yorkie, or small poodle. So anyway Michael found this breeder locally Danville, VA. but she breeds Yorkies, Shih Tzus, chihuahuas, frenchies and oe bulldogs. To me that spells puppy mill! Not to mention she has numerous 11 month old pups that haven't sold and she is still asking $1300 for them, the young pups are $1800. Personally I think this is way too much! I paid $600 for my beautiful boy and got to meet his parents, grandparents aunts and uncles. I got him from a 'backyard breeder' which I would choose over a big time breeder any day. Why charge so much for puppies?

We used to breed springer spaniels and persian kittens and finding the babies great homes outweighed the cost ten thousand times. Since I have raised both, I know it is not that horrendously expensive to raise them. Dew claws and docking tails is the biggest expense. I do my own vaccinations with my vets blessing. One expensive pup pays for most of the expenses so I don't like it when people say they 'barely break even' and 'it's not about the money' that's BS. Our parents were very expensive because we wanted to produce the finest pups and kittens. But I did not produce the babies to pay for the parents. Breeding was my choice and we produced several "show" quality kids. Big deal, good for the new owners. We charged $500 for the pups and we had a few kittens going for $1500 only because the buyers were willing to pay that much.

So why do so many breeders say they charge so much because they have great quality, great backgrounds, great raising?? I want a puppy that I can love to match my beautiful boy. Why do I have to pay such an outrageous price for a pet? Yes I want a pure bred because I want to know what I am getting, but I want a baby I can love. Lupie, my precious dauchsy, was not the best bred, just beautiful, loving, loyal and the best friend anyone could want - she cost $150. I just think a breeder would want the best home for their pups. I did. We actually gave a springer puppy to a friend who had just lost their dog. I can see the increased price for bullies just the expense and trauma of the birthing process. Sorry I just had to rant, I just want a beautiful baby girl for my Rambeau!

Melissa and Rambeau (I just want a friend)
mayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!