View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiesrock View Post
My Yorkie received a bordetella shot last year because the vet thought he was going to need surgery for his LP. Luckily the orthopedic surgeon said no and the surgery was canceled. Now I got a reminder in the mail that he needs his bordetella booster. I called the vet yesterday and asked if it is necessary since he isn't boarded and the groomer comes to my house. She told me yes it is required and he could even get bordetella just by walking him. What are your thoughts on this shot. Is it really necessary and are there any dangerous side effects?
We dont' give the Bordetella shot anymore. layla had the shot when she was 1 and then got kennel cough anyways. It's like giving the flu shot... you can still GET the flu even if you have had the shot as it does not protect against all strands of kennel cough. I am of the mindset to give as few shots as possble and i told my vet i would not be giving Layla this shot which she said was fine.. should layla need to be hospitalized they have that written in her chart and she will be kept in a room with no other dogs so she isn't at risk of catching it (which i like better anyways... the noise of the other dogs would stress her out and i'm sure she'd get more attention ) if you don'tthink the shot is necessiary.. say soemthing.. you are your dogs voice and only you can do what is best. If you aren't happy with how your vet reacts.. you might need to think of a new vet.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!