View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 02:43 AM   #4
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

It is perfectly fine to feed wet food. You can feed it with dry or you can feed all wet food. Vets think that soft food causes tooth problems or hard food cleans them. That really isn't true. While you might get a little bit more tartar build-up with wet (that is even debatable), the dry really doesn't do much to clean the teeth because the kibble breaks on contact. If you want a food that will clean the teeth, you would have to go with a veterinary diet or possibly raw (not suggesting you do either). I have a book here called Small Animal Clinical Nutrition. It was written by some very knowledgeable people who say that the studies done on wet food vs. dry food and tooth decay were flawed in a way.

The people who homecook are technically feeding wet food all the time. Ellie had stage 3-4 periodontal disease and was eating almost all kibble. She had surgery and I switched her to soft homecooked and now I brush her teeth almost every day. Now she is at a stage 1. So whatever you do, you need to brush. Her vet has a special interest in dentistry and is very good at it, so if she doesn't have a problem with homecooked, I don't see why any vet should have a problem with wet food.

So in our case, feeding kibble the majority of the time didn't prevent tooth problems.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!