View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
4doggiemama
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

I did an "advanced" word search and there is a lot on YT about 7 wk. old puppies. I think you could probaby find a lot of advice. Here's just a little that I found. Probably everything you already know. It also sounds like lots of members have have good luck raising a tiny 7 wk. Yorkie. Go best of luck as you venture into this unknown territory. Joanne

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/gen...too-young.html :

The period from 3-12 weeks is a critical imprinting and socialization period for the puppy. During this time, it learns to basically be a dog from its mother and littermates. It learns bite inhibition from 8-12 weeks as well. The breeder should be working to socialize the puppy as well during this time and potty training should be started. At about 8 weeks is a critical time for the puppy..if they are exposed to a negative experience they may be afraid of that experience for life....but to the degree depends on the individual puppy. The dog was actually studied thorougly during this imprinting/socialization period so a lot is known about critical time periods.

Also, before 12 weeks, the puppy has a much higher risk for hypoglycemia. The puppy might be eating fine at the breeders but the stress of changing environments often causes puppies not to eat at first. Hypoglycemia can be very serious and even fatal if signs aren't recognized and blood sugar raised soon enough. It's really hard to know what you are getting in an 8 week old puppy too...it's hard to estimate looks, size, petsonality, etc with a pup that young. It's really too early to do a Bile Acid Test at that age too...12 weeks would be better, and that's a test you definitely don't want to skip, especially with a breeder already breaking an ethical rule (they may not be health screening their dogs). Yorkies are 36 times more likely to have a liver shunt than all other breeds combined so all yorkie puppies should be BAT to make sure they don't have a shunt.

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/gen...get-puppy.html

the breeder/pet store owner told me my puppy was 7 weeks but actually was a few days short of 7 weeks! I knew if I didn't take him someone else would! and where I live yorkies are rare. My Tanner is now 12 weeks and I won't lie it was hard. He would shake easy so keep him warm and lots of naps, second getting him to eat. I now cut up really small bits of chedder cheese you can barely see it to encourage him to eat his puppy food,(combination of puppy nutrience and royal canine baby dog for puppies up to 8 weeks).Good luck to you.
Tanner is our family pride and joy beside always wanting to chew on my fingers he is the most perfect puppy anyone could ask for.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!