Thread: vaccinations
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #13
Woogie Man
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie3 View Post
I don't usually post too much, but I wanted to let everyone know what one of my Vets told me about vaccinations. The recommended dose of vaccine is what it takes to immunize...not the size of the puppy. I had questioned him about the rabie vaccine so while I was there he called the company. They said if the recommended dose was not given, the dog could still get the disease. It's not the size of the dog that matters, but what it takes to either kill or immunize the disease.

Has anyone else's Vet told them this? None of my babies have had problems with their vaccinations ever, but I would be afraid to get a lower dose and they not be covered.
I'm one that is completely against over-vaccination but my understanding is it's the virus count that's important. Enough must be used to provoke the immune system regardless of the dog's size. It's not like medicine where body weight is taken into account. IMO, giving half doses of vaccine is like not finishing off antibiotics. You could cause the virus to mutate into a more resistant strain by providing partial protection only. I would never give anything less than the full dose of vaccine.
Woogie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!