View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Janie Doyle
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Seizures from anxiety

4 Yrs ago we adopted a 8 yo female Yorkie . Her health has been good except she was diagnosed one year ago with seizures brought on by anxiety.

She came to us beaten up and fearfull of men. She came to us in a small cage. Every day for 3 months I would spend some 1:1 time with her so she could gain confidence and trust. In the begining Robin would not come out of her cage at all and the only way I could get her out to go potty was to "pull " her out of the cage. She would only eat inside of her cage and then the door had to be open and a small bowl of food was put down and she would peek her head out of the cage long enough to eat. Finally after 3 months she started to come out of her cage on her own for short periods.

Today she is happy, fairly normal but does have issues. Robin has seizures brought on by anxiety and just to get her groomed we have to take her to the vet when he is in , and he gives her a small dose of valium by injection before the groomer cuts her. We give her a half of phenobarbital 2 times a day to help reduce the number of seisures. The medicine help alot and we are not exactly sure what brings on a seisure because sometimes it happens when we are sleeping and the sound of the seisure wakes me up so I can care for her.

Now it is getting to the point where even when I comb her head and top knot it causes a seizure. That hapened the past 2 times I combed her head.

Does anyone have any sugestions on what I can give her maybe 20-30 min before I comb her hair to try to help prevent a seizure. ????

Robin's Mom
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!