View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
ginabella
Yorkie Talker

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieRose View Post
It is very dangerous to use a flea collar on a Yorkie of any age...you are lucky to have not lost your new companion...I had one chew their collar many years back..needed the vet and then one got it caught in her mouth...another mess...I tossed them all out..seen a few friends lose their pups by nibbling on another collar on a pet in the house...good luck

PS...I Yorkie was 6 pound adult, I found her in the morning with the collar caught in her lower jaw..she was over on her side..but lived..it was not low blood sugar. This was back in 70"s when most used these collars to control fleas.
I will definitely ask my vet when I see him this week. I wonder what it was then, if not hypoglycemia, since he recovered so quickly with no other intervention? My guy weighed in at 4 lbs 1 oz a few weeks ago. I imagine that the pesticide chemicals now are a lot safer than they were many years ago but I have learned a very scary lesson and will never ever ever use a flea collar again. (Although I did see a good tip that they can be tossed in a vacuum when dealing with aftermath of fleas in the house - kills them after being vacuumed up before they can crawl back out of the vacuum).

Gina
ginabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!