Thread: Weaning Puppies
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
gardenyorkies
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
I have gotten some good tips from you over the past month. I know with this litter . MY mom has looked hagerd and sometimes looked at me with this face saying help. I set up a system on my daughters behave she said after weighing the puppies everyday we would supplement the ones that weigh less then the other puppies. Her favorite puppy was not gaining by the second week so we always supplemented this puppy and put it to teats closest to the tail. I was feeding my mom 4 times aday and dry food out at all times. If they drink 2-4 oz per pup 4 times a day that means she is having to produce 14-28 ounces for each feeding, 4 times a day is a total of 56-112 ounces of milk a day.
Is there any theories or studies on how much the nursing female has to consume to produce x amount of ounces of milk.
I could see where puppies start weaning themselves or the mother trying to get away from them.[/QUOTE

I do not know of any studies that would tell how much a nursing female would have to consume to produce that amount of milk...Everyone has to take a look at their babies and determine whether the babies are satisfied...If not then you have to start the weaning process if that means supplementing or starting on solid food...My post was just for those that have an average litter without any problems...Meaning Mom is in good shape, healthy and puppies are doing what puppies are supposed to be doing..Sleeping, eating, voiding and gaining weight...

You know your dog better than anyone else...trust your gut instinct...It will not fail you!
gardenyorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!