View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #13
stovesj
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieChick1 View Post
I was gonna' say that the pond isn't deep enough but 4 feet is!! I have about an 18 X 20' with about 4 1/2' deep with the slate caves also but knock on wood I haven't had a problem with the raccoons and I have chickens also. I've seen raccoons in our neighborhood but they haven't come to my pond. I have 5 dogs though and I figure that they must smell all those smells and not come in the yard. I'm so sorry you lost your Koi and your goldfish, what were their names? (Come on, if they follow you I know you named them! I've named my Koi!)
Yes, actually mine is about 4 1/2 feet too. I dug it that deep on purpose so they would be better protected from both the coons and the blue heron. I have a fake floating turtle that looks pretty realistic and the darn coon even took a bite out of one of its legs...they must really be hungry.

I never named most of them, but the large gold Koi was named Harley and there was a fantail gold fish that was orange and white. Her head was mostly white and she had orange lips. I named her Hotlips.

I would trap the raccoons and relocate them, but there are just too many around here and to make matters worse some of the neighbors feed them. The lady behind me was feeding them until another neighbor with small children asked her to stop because he was afraid they might attack his kids. By the way, we nicknamed this lady that was feeding the raccoons "Doglady" because she would lure loose dogs into her yard, tie them up on the deck and then call animal control. Ironic she hates dogs but will feed the raccoons.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!