View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #12
nvnvgirl
Lovin' to the MAX!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendraleigh View Post
Nvnvgirl~

I was thinking of trying to leave out the dry food (Royal Canine) and then just let him get hungry enough, but I get so nervous b/c he just started eating a couple days ago and now he's finally hungry like he used to be. I guess I'll ask my vet about that. I think the peeing is b/c I've been giving him 1tsp of pedialyte mixed with water every hour or so and normally when he's completely healthy, he doesn't drink a lot of water anyway, so I might be causing that! His belly is definitely gurgling so I know it's working in there! It's so sweet b/c I think he waits until everyone's out of the room to do his business (we have him on wee wee pads). He's been doing it just at night when it's just me (I've been sleeping on the couch with him every night b/c I can't bear to leave him alone).

He's on flagyl and pepcid. I really think the flagyl is helping with his bowels b/c they're not bloody anymore and they do seem to be forming better with each time going.

Thanks for all your information! You have no idea how reassuring it is to hear someone else went through the same thing. I mean I'm not glad to know little Max had to suffer like this, but I don't feel so lost and unsure of what to do! Thanks again!
Kendra~ check with the vet specifically about the Royal Canin. Mine had me use the W/D dry (in fact, that's what she told me to feed til I told her he liked the canned better and now he scarfs up either one!). I think mine told me the Royal Canin was too high in something...been so long (hallelujah!) that I forget. I see that your vet is giving you a list of acceptable foods, so that's great! That way, you don't have to feel frantic if you can't get to the vet to get the Hill's. I know a lot of people here don't like Hill's foods, but Max has been doing so great on it, that I'm not going to take any chances again with his stomach. The thing I'm not too crazy about is that you can only get them at the vets' office, which is a little inconvenient sometimes.

LOL..yeah, you might be causing the pee thing, hehe....Max doesn't drink a lot of water either (at least, not noticeably). I am not a dog expert, but I know with people, if you pinch the skin on the back of the hand (or forearm) and it stays that way, they're dehydrated. I think if you pinched the skin on his belly and it returns to normal immediately, he's not dehydrated. Again, no expert here.

Pepcid is much better I think for their tummies.....Madison is on it and it's done WONDERS for him. The Flagyl should probably help clear up any of the diarrhea issues.

It sounds like he's progressing just like he should. It's amazing how they get better after being so sick, isn't it? And I think the experience is something you don't forget about~ it's really made us pretty stringent about what goes into Max (and observant about what comes out, LOL)!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!