View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
TLC
Slave to My Rug-Rats
Donating Member

The pimples and blisters were caused by her itching and chewing and licking. So she is on the clinamycin (antibiotic) b/c those pimple/blisters is now a staph infection (bacteria that rest on the skin has now enter the open wound). The benedryl is to help control the itching so that infection can heal.

What you can do to help, is keep that area clean and dry. This is going to be important, the Shampoo, what are you using? The Vet should have special shampoo that you can use that is used to treat bacterial and fungal infection. So that is what I would be using on that area. I wouldn't put the gold bond powder on though...Honestly, if you can get a shampoo from the Vet, just keep washing that area under the sink and dry it. Unfortunately this is going to take time to heal...

I do not know much about the phenobarbital - but did this Vet prescribe it? If so, I would express your concerns about the benedryl and ask him to explain that there is no danger

I have had to deal with this with Roxy, I have had to give her the benedryl to control the itching to allow for her skin infection to heal. So this all makes sense to me, but like I said, I do not know about the interaction of the phenobarbital, so talk with your Vet.

Keep us posted
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!