View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
khyorkies
YT Addict

11. If you checked the BTCA link above regarding the standard, you will have found that a Boston does have a short muzzle. A breeder who advertises that their Boston's have longer noses so they don't have breathing problems is not being truthful. This is generally their way of justifying the breeding of their pet. Having a longer nose does NOT reduce breathing problems. Boston's are a Brachycephalic (short nose) breed, and hence they do snort and snore a lot. Stenotic nares and/or an elongated soft palate can be found in any breed, including Golden Retriever's. But a good breeder who is breeding to the standard does NOT produce a long nose Boston, nor do their short nose Boston's have breathing problems.

12. A breeder's occupation is not an indicator of good breeding practices. Just because a breeder is a nurse, doctor, veterinary technician, or even a veterinarian for that matter, does NOT necessarily make them a good breeder. A good breeder not only certifies their breeding dogs are healthy with the proper genetic tests, they also breed to the standard. Their occupation has nothing to do with it.

13. Is this breeder willing to sell you a puppy on full registration? Why are they doing this? A reputable breeder does not sell a pet quality puppy like this. A good breeder calls a puppy pet quality for a reason. There is a flaw (albeit usually just a nominal one) that marks it as non-show quality. This same flaw in all likelihood should also mark it as non-BREEDING quality. If they are selling a pet quality puppy and are willing to let you (or any Tom, Dick, or Harry) breed this puppy at some time in the future, they are willingly contributing to the thousands of homeless dogs that are filling the shelters today. A good breeder will NOT sell a puppy as a "good breeding dog".

14. How long have they been breeding? How many females does the breeder have? How many litters has this breeder had? How often is the female bred? If the female is 3 years old, and has had 6 litters, they are being over-bred (in my opinion!). Generally speaking, most breeders will also not allow their bitch to have more than 4 litters. If puppies always seem to be available you can bet it's become a lucrative business and the puppies are just merchandise. If checking the newspaper ads, browse over the other breeds and take note of phone numbers and/or addresses. Are there several repetitions?

15. How old are the dogs they are breeding? Dogs (males) are used for stud up until they are 9 to 10 years old, sometimes even older, but most good breeders will not breed a bitch over 6 years of age. The reverse side of this coin is how young are the breeding dogs. A bitch bred before she is at least a year old is still a puppy herself, and should not be bred, and in my opinion, a male should also be at least that age. Some health certifications are not valid until a dog is at least one year old, and they should not be bred before they have passed all of their certifications.

16. The breeder should also give you a WRITTEN guarantee on the puppy, NOT VERBAL. Any health problems should either be paid for by the breeder, a partial refund of your purchase price be given, or they will exchange the puppy... Preferably YOUR choice, not theirs! (Unfortunately, the choice guarantee is not always an option, but there are some breeders that will give this choice). Each breeder's guarantee is different, so be sure you understand exactly what and how they will warrantee the puppy before you sign any documents. Also, keep in mind that many genetic problems do not appear until the puppy is an adult of 1, 2, or even 3 years old. The guarantee should cover no less than a one year period for genetic defects. The puppy should also have ALL of his/her puppy shots, and been wormed. A health certificate is required by most states prior to selling a puppy, and it is ALWAYS required when shipping a puppy, so don't be fooled into thinking it's a healthy puppy just because it has been given a health certificate. There are unethical veterinarians, just as there are unethical breeders.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!