View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 06:20 AM   #6
missdesis
Yorkie Yakker

Teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrie View Post
It seems the books tell us to do it that way....

Our approach was to let Bailey have the run of a room (blocked off) where she couldn't get behind something - and then watch her. The idea was to catch her in the act and correct her mistake. We wanted her to tell us that she needs to go outside and potty. If we couldnt give her our undivided attention, then she was in the crate.

So, when she started to potty in the house - we'd scoop her up, tap the bell and say "outside". Praised her when she'd potty. We kept this up and after about two months - she was ringing the bell on her own.

You said something earlier about being in an apartment 4 floors up? Have you considered litter box training (maybe with pee pads in the box?)

Good luck!
I forgot about the bell idea until I read your post. I head that from somewhere else before. I think I am going to try that one out with the new guy. My JW used to just lick you in the face, persistently, when he wanted something. You knew it was either a treat or to go outside. But I dont know how we got him to do that... I think he trained us
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!