View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
Little Bit
Tiny Dog Big Heart
Donating Member

Quote:
1. Was told today by a trainer that dogs do not want to poop where they pee, and thus I will need two separate areas for her to go potty. Is this true for your dog or did you train her to do both in the same spot?
Mine do both on the same pad. I have heard of some yorkie owners on here who do have two areas, one for poo and one for pee. So I guess it depends on your yorkie. If the pad gets too soiled they won't use it, but will go next to it. So I change mine out every day or two.

Quote:
2. Does the choice of potty tools make a difference? That is to say, do you think using doggy litter vs pee pads would this change the answer to question #1.
I don't know. I have not used litter. Mine only go outside and on washable potty pads.

Quote:
3. If your dog is trained to go indoors at your house, how easy is it to train her to do it on her chosen material (pee pad or doggy litter) when in a hotel or someone else's house?
If you use the same material at the new place it shouldn't be too hard, as long as you make sure they know where it is and take them to it often.

Quote:
4. Which do you like better, pee pads or doggy litter and why?
I like the washable potty pads because they save money, are easy to use and they don't make a mess like litter or disposable pads (ever seen puppies shred a paper pad?? ). They also don't leak.

Quote:
5. Any advice/suggestions on things that worked for you that would help me in this area?
Which ever way you decide to train them just be consistent and always praise them for doing it right. Don't yell at or punish them when they do it wrong. Ignore the mistakes and have a party for each sucess! They really do respond well to positive reinforcement. If you punish them or get mad at mistakes it confuses them and also makes them sneak off and go pee where you don't want them to.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!